Monday, October 25, 2010

A little Confusing?

Throughout my reading of Miriam Libicki's Jobnik!, I was a little confused about many things that were written about in the graphic novel. The reading was very confusing and it made very little sense to me. It seems like the book really had no specific plot other than Libicki's experience in the Israeli army, (maybe this is the main plot?). So, with that being said; What is the plot of this story? I ask this question because it seems like it jumps around and discusses things that are irrelevant to a point that is trying to be made. The story starts out with Libicki saying that she hasn't written in her journal in over a year and starts discussing the stuff that's going on in her life. But as you read through the story it just seems like she has a lot of personal struggles that don't seem to necessary have a meaning. Maybe I just didn't understand the story or I read it to fast but it made no sense to me. I do think that Miriam Libicki was very brave to enlist in the Israeli army, after all there was and is so much tension between Israel and Palestine that it would be scary being enlisted in the Israeli army, this is even brought up in the graphic novel of the war that happened in the early 2000’s between Israel and Palestine. I do think that Miriam Libicki is sexually confused/looking for love in wrong places. It seems like she sleeps with every guy that she meets and then is kicked to the street for one reason or another. In a way I really felt sorry for Libicki because it seemed like every guy she met was just trying to get her in bed. Maybe re-reading the graphic novel again would help, it was difficult for me to read because of how it seemed to jump around (especially the part where she was in Canada with friends. I don’t understand the point of this being in the story).

1 comment:

  1. I completely agree with your reaction to the novel. I thought that I may have missed important concepts because I read it too fast, but I think knowing the background between Israel and Palestine is a lot of help. I agreed in the sense that I wasn't sure what the point of the novel was, because the plot really went nowhere, but after discussing it in class I understand that it's her right to portray whatever she wants, I just don't have to like it! I think the organization of the novel is what really drew me away from this book, because I simply couldn't follow it.

    ReplyDelete