Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Ghost sibling rivalry

Although Art’s brother Richieu died during the holocaust, there was still, according to Art, sibling rivalry. This ghost sibling rivalry is only mention briefly in Art’s Graphic Novel Maus, but it shows a major problem Art had as being a child of Holocaust survivors. Art never got to know his brother, since he was born a few years after the war, however he feels that his parents still act as if Richieu is alive. Art said he would wonder all the time if he could compare to his brother. I think he said something along the lines of “my brother would probably be a doctor and marry a weathy Jewish girl, the creep”. I think Art wondered when he was a child if he and his brother would have gotten along, or if they would always be trying to one up each other to get their parents attention. I wonder if Art even thought of his whole sense of living, meaning, if Richieu would have survived the war, would his parents have wanted another child? Thus, Art not being born. I think Art always had to compete with his brother even though his brother was dead. He would say things along the lines of “The photo (of Richieu) never threw tantrums or got in any trouble…it was an ideal kid, and I was a pain in the ass, I couldn’t compete”. I wonder if Art feels that his parents loved his brother more than they did him. With these examples being brought forth, I wonder if Art thought that he was born only to replace Richieu, since Art felt he could never be as perfect as him. Richieu would always be better because he was dead and made no mistakes, he was the perfect child while Art probably felt he was a bad child.

No comments:

Post a Comment