Tuesday, September 14, 2010

A Contract Broken

As I was reading, A Contract with God by Will Eisner, there were three things that really struck me as interesting or as somewhat disturbing. The first thing that was really interesting and sad was in the first part of the Graphic Novel; specifically the main characters "broken" contract with God. It seemed to me that the main character was a little ignorant to the fact that nothing bad would happen to him in his life. His life seemed to be going great until he lost his only daughter and turned his back on God. Although later he made a new contract (and died) the whole idea that he lost faith was kind of sad to read.
        The second and third thing that I found interesting and yet disturbing was the concept of nudity/sex in a graphic novel. Sure, it's all over the media, however, i was never really exposed to sex/nudity in a graphic novel before (maybe its because I only read Batman...I know, I should step out of my box). What sort of left me with an uneasy feeling was the part of the Graphic Novel about the slumlord who was asked by a child to touch her. I'm not exactly sure why it left me a little uneasy, maybe it's just the fact that children (in all the cases I've heard about) do not instigate being molested. Although this made me a little uneasy, I still really enjoyed A Contract with God and would say it was honestly one of the best graphic novels I've read.

No comments:

Post a Comment